Safer and less toxic workplaces
- Successfully cosponsored AB 2125 (Chiu) in 2016 which called for state support of local voluntary healthy nail salon recognition programs.
- Advocate for and coordinate statewide working group implementing local voluntary Healthy Nail Salon Recognition Programs.
- Conduct occupational safety and health trainings for nail salon workers and owners in partnership with our members.
Improving working conditions
- Successfully sponsored AB 2025 (Gonzalez-Fletcher) in 2016 that called for providing information on basic labor law in all applications for licensing and renewals with the state cosmetology licensing board.
- Engaging nail salon workers to improve working conditions through outreach, trainings, leadership development, and policy advocacy.
- Engaging salon owners through outreach and labor law trainings, and piloting a “high road” salon program supporting owners to improve working conditions while being successful and sustainable.
Ensuring language accessible materials and communication
- Organize salon workers and owners to advocate with the state licensing board for translation of materials and linguistically competent communications with licensees.
- Sponsored AB 2253 (Ting) in 2014 which required translation of state agency complaint forms including that of the state cosmetology licensing board.